The Bureau of Prisons offers programs and classes to help inmates develop and improve literacy and numeracy skills. The Bureau provides English as a Second Language (ESL) classes for those who have limited English proficiency in reading and listening.
BOP facilities use a variety of our tests for initial program placement and to monitor the progress of inmates. These competency-based tests help BOP educators identify the literacy and language skills inmates need to prepare for employment upon release.
BOP Starter Kit
Every Bureau of Prison site with an ESL program must purchase at least one BOP Starter Kit. The kit contains these tests:
BOP Placement Test (reading and listening)
BOP ESL Placement Test Booklets (set of 25)
BOP ESL Placement Test Answer Sheets (set of 100)
Life and Work Reading Pre- and Post-Tests
- Forms 81, 83, 185 (set of 25 test booklets for each test form)
- Forms 82, 84, 186 (set of 15 test booklets for each test form)
- Life and Work Reading Test Administration Manual
Life and Work Listening Pre- and Post-Tests
- Forms 81-86 (one CD for each test form; 25 picture-prompt test booklets to accompany Forms 81 and 82; Forms 83-86 use CD only without test booklets)
- Life and Work Listening Test Administration Manual
Level C Certification Tests for Reading
- Form 522 (set of 25 test booklets)
Answer Sheets for Pre- and Post-Tests: Option 1 General Purpose Answer Sheets (set of 100)
BOP ESL Test Administration Manual
Audio CDs (for listening tests)
Advantages and Benefits
- Reading progress tests offer four levels of pre- and post-tests from Level A (beginning literacy) to Level D (adult secondary level)
- Listening progress tests (for ESL only) offer three levels of pre- and post-tests from Level A (beginning ESL literacy) to Level C (advanced ESL)
- All tests are easy to administer and score with test results easy to interpret
- Tests take up to one hour to complete
CASAS assessments correlate to CASAS Competencies and Content Standards. BOP facilities can use test results to help target instruction.
Use the QuickSearch Online database to determine instructional resources by assessment series, skill area, program type, CASAS competency, publication title, and by publisher. This valuable resource is available at no cost.
No training is necessary for Bureau of Prisons facilities to order and administer most test series. BOP sites should order and study the Test Administration Manual for each test series they use.
CASAS also offers self-paced CASAS Implementation Training at no cost for those who wish to enhance their understanding and use of CASAS tests and resources.
Order the Bureau of Prisons assessments now.