Provide every opportunity and every advantage to your special needs students with CASAS assessments expertly designed to meet their specific testing requirements.
- The POWER (Providing Options for the Workplace, Education, and Rehabilitation) series is targeted toward adults with intellectual disabilities who do not perform well on paper-and-pencil assessments. POWER is powerful — and all components have been validated for those with intellectual disabilities enrolled in adult education, community colleges, supported employment, developmental services, and transition programs.
- The Adult Life Skills series allows instructors to monitor the learning progress of those with intellectual disabilities and other beginning literacy needs. The series allows test-takers to respond in their preferred mode of communication, thus enriching the testing experience.
- The Braille Reading Assessment brings literacy skills to persons with blindness or visual impairments. Learning Braille increases choices. Assessing Braille informs Braille instruction.
POWER — Test Booklets
Adult Life Skills — Test Booklets
Braille Reading Assessment — Test Booklets
TOPSpro Software (all special needs tests)
Manual Scoring (all special needs tests; answer keys are included in test administration manuals)
Advantages and Benefits
- Provide universal access to learning with special needs test series
- Ensure progress on literacy ladder with pre-literacy assessments
- Eliminate testing time and assess during instruction with POWER series
- Engage students in test-taking with true-to-life engaging color photographs in Adult Life Skills series
- Increase employment opportunities for adults with visual impairment with Braille reading assessment
Special needs assessments correlate to CASAS Competencies in the areas of basic communication, consumer economics, community resources, health, employment, government and law, computation, learning to learn, and independent living.
POWER performance-based assessments are available are three levels, 2A to 4A, pre-beginning to beginning literacy. The POWER series includes assessments, observation guides, and curriculum modules.
Adult Life Skills Assessment
The Adult Life Skills series assesses reading comprehension at four levels, 2A to 5A, pre-beginning to beginning literacy. Parallel forms at each level allow for progress testing (pre- and post-testing). All Adult Life Skills tests are administered one-on-one. The series uses a customized appraisal test to determine the appropriate pretest for each individual.
Braille Reading Assessment
Use Form 837 to test reading abilities in Braille format at CASAS Levels A/B (beginning literacy and beginning basic skills). Test items focus on everyday life and workplace reading skills. The Braille Reading Assessment uses Grade 2 Braille (contractions, not alphabet).
Use the QuickSearch Online database to determine instructional resources by assessment series, skill area, program type, CASAS competency, publication title, and by publisher.
Find diverse strategies and materials for learners with special challenges! Use the no-cost online Adult Low-Level Literacy Curriculum with ten theme-based modules targeting non-readers and low-level readers. Modules offer complete lesson plans at four levels to reduce instructional planning time and increase instructional effectiveness.
Serve learners with special needs, including those with intellectual and learning disabilities, with a wide range of accommodation materials and guidelines.
Research supports the use of CASAS with young adults with specific learning disabilities: ECS-LD Monograph - Using the CASAS Employability Competency System (ECS) to Assess Individuals Who Have Learning Disabilities: Findings from a Three-State Study get adobe reader.
Completion of a POWER self-training packet is required to order and use the POWER tests.
Adult Life Skills
CASAS offers self-paced online Implementation Training at no cost. If you have not yet completed Implementation Training, you'll need to do so prior to ordering the Adult Life Skills series.
Braille Reading Assessment
No training is required to order and administer the Braille Reading Assessment. Simply order the Braille Reading Assessment Test Package and read and review the Test Administration Packet.
Order Special Needs Assessments.